The star selection of the Michelin Guide Singapore 2021 is officially revealed via a virtual event on 1 September 2021. There are 49 Michelin-starred restaurants and hawker stall, of which 12 ‘new’ restaurants have received 1 Michelin star.
In its 5th year in Singapore, the guide took a break in Singapore during 2020 due to the global Covid-19 pandemic.
Of the 49 awarded restaurants, there are 3 restaurants with 3 stars, 5 restaurants with 2 stars, and 41 establishments with 1 star.
For the first time there is a Michelin Guide Young Chef Award, which is awarded to Chef Mark Tai of Cloudstreet.
Zén is promoted to 3 Michelin stars; while JAAN by Kirk Westaway moves up to 2 Michelin stars.
Newly awarded 1 Michelin star restaurants include 28 Wilkie, Art, Basque Kitchen by Aitor (new venue), Cloudstreet, Cure, Esora, Lerouy (new venue), Oshino, Shang Palace, Sommer, Thevar, and Whitegrass (re-entry).
Hawker Chan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle which was previously known as the “cheapest Michelin meal in the world”, is not awarded a Michelin star this year. (Hawker Chan at Chinatown Complex Market & Food Centre received a Michelin Plate, which can be a little strange as its branch outlet has the Bib Gourmand.)
When preparing the selection, Michelin inspectors reviewed all types of cuisines and considered only the quality of the food.
All establishments are selected according to the same five criteria used by Michelin inspectors around the world. They are:
1) quality of the ingredients used
2) mastery of cooking techniques and flavors
3) projection of the chef’s personality in his cuisine
4) value for money
5) consistency – both over time and across the entire menu.
Other factors, such as place, décor, service and facilities offered, are supposedly not considered.
3 Michelin stars: Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey
2 Michelin stars: Excellent cooking, worth a detour
The personality and talent of the chef and their team is evident in the refined, expertly crafted dishes.
– JAAN by Kirk Westaway (Swissotel the Stamford) – French contemporary (up from 1 star)
– Saint Pierre (One Fullerton) – French contemporary
– Shisen Hanten by Chef Kentaro (Mandarin Orchard Singapore) – Chinese
– Shoukouwa (One Fullerton) – Sushi
– Waku Ghin (Marina Bay Sands) – Japanese contemporary
1 Michelin Star: A very good restaurant in its category
Within their category, these establishments use quality ingredients and serve carefully prepared dishes with distinct flavours.
– 28 Wilkie NEW
– Alma (Goodwood Park Hotel) – European contemporary
– Art NEW
– Basque Kitchen by Aitor (NEW entry due to new venue)
– Beni (Mandarin Gallery, Orchard) – French contemporary
– Braci (Boat Quay) – Italian contemporary
– Buona Terra – Italian contemporary
– Burnt Ends (Teck Lim Road) – Barbeque
– Candlenut (Dempsey) – Peranakan
– Chef Kang’s (25 Mackenzie Road) – Cantonese
– Cloudstreet – NEW
– Corner House (Botanic Gardens) – Innovative
– Cure NEW
– CUT (Marina Bay Sands) – Steakhouse
– Esora NEW
– Garibaldi (36 Purvis Street) – Italian
– Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodles (Crawford Lane) – Street Food
– Iggy’s (581 Orchard Road, Hilton Singapore) – European contemporary
– Imperial Treasure Fine Teochew Cuisine (ION Orchard) – Teochew
– Labyrinth (Esplanade) – Innovative
– Lei Garden (CHIJMES) – Cantonese
– Lerouy NEW (new venue)
– Ma Cuisine (38 Craig Road) – French
– Nouri (Amoy Street) – Innovative
– Oshino NEW
– Putien Restaurant (Kitchener Road) – Fujian
– Rhubarb Le Restaurant (Duxton Hill) – French contemporary
– Shang Palace NEW
– Shinji by Kanesaka (Carlton Hotel) – Sushi
– Shinji by Kanesaka (St Regis Hotel) – Sushi
– Sommer NEW
– Summer Palace (Regent Singapore) – Cantonese
– Summer Pavilion (Ritz-Carlton, The Millenia Singapore) – Cantonese
– Sushi Ichi (Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel) – Sushi
– Sushi Kimura (Palais Renaissance) – Sushi
– Table 65
– Thevar NEW
– Whitegrass NEW
Other Related Entries
Michelin Singapore – Restaurant Reviews
Michelin Bib Gourmand Singapore 2021
10 “Michelin Plate” Hawker Stalls In Singapore
54 Must-Eat Famous Singapore Food, And Where To Find Them
56 Best Hawker Food in Singapore