Next possible trendy food: bubble tea with ice cream.
This is a food collaboration you may not have seen coming, but well-loved brands Gong Cha and Häagen-Dazs have come together to introduce “Bubble Tea Floats” – also called “BTF”.
So, have BTF with your BFF?
While ice cream in BBT may not exactly be a new thing, this is not just another generic ice cream but Häagen-Dazs known for its creamy and luxurious ice cream.
The entire conceptualisation and R&D is said to take close to a year, as the two global brands wanted to create BTF drinks + ice cream combis and flavour profiles that truly work well together.
So not just any ice cream flavour on any drink.
The three specific flavours introduced will be permanent items available at selected Gong Cha stores (see below for which ones) coming in the theme of Indulgence, Love and Happiness.
So, how do you eat a Bubble Tea Float? This are the 4 steps I propose (haha):
– Ice Cream: Dip a spoon in to scoop up some (not all) of the Häagen-Dazs ice cream.
– The Foam: Sip the cold frozen foam on top for a satisfying mouth-feel.
– Tea Off: Use the straw to savour the complexity and freshness of the Gong Cha drink.
– All In One: For the remainder, mix it all up with the straw and enjoy!
The one other surprising thing I noted that the price of the drinks – kept more affordable at $5.50 or $5.80, especially when you are getting one whole scoop of Häagen-Dazs ice cream within.
Caramel Choc BTF – Indulgence ($5.50)
This tasted like liquid gold—in chocolate form, almost like having dessert in a cup. Probably my favourite cup out of the three.
The base consists of Gong Cha’s Rich Chocolate Malt drink which is already quite creamy and chocolaty on its own.
You would taste that pop of saltiness, due to the salted caramel sauce swirled within (do give it a good stir in case the caramel all lands at the base).
This comes topped with a whole creamy scoop of fan-favourite Häagen-Dazs Salted Caramel ice cream – which already comes with bits of crunchy caramel pieces.
Expect that complexity of slight-roastiness, cocoa flavour, tinge of saltiness and creamy texture in one cup.
If you are feeling stressed out or having a bad day and want to indulge in yourself, this could very well be the elixir.
Berry-Tea Bliss BTF – Love ($5.80)
Häagen-Dazs’s Strawberry Ice Cream is one of its iconic classics and favourite, so it is not surprising to find that included.
Accordingly, the Strawberry Ice Cream flavour took six years to perfect, and is laced with handpicked strawberries and cream.
The scoopful of pleasure is combined with Gong Cha’s Original Milk Tea known to be aromatic.
I think this is one drink you can afford to taste it by the layers. As if you mix it all together, it could be on the sweet and milkier side (like a strawberry milk shake), but well… this does represent love.
By the way, there is a little surprise within the cup – heart-shaped pieces of nata de coco jelly. Aww….
Sunshine Mango BTF – Happiness ($5.80)
The combination of Gong Cha’s Jasmine Green Tea with scoop of Häagen-Dazs Mango Sorbet, can be a refreshing and satisfying cool-me-down.
The Mango Sorbet is made by blending juicy, tropical mangos into a smooth puree to create that treat with sweet fruit intensity.
Not forgetting star-shaped pieces of nata de coco jelly for that textural bite.
You get a bit of tangy-sweetness and tea-fragrance, overall a tropical-fruity drink that taste like summer. No wonder the “happiness”.
#DontHoldBackSG – Win Gong Cha Vouchers
If you have bought a BTF, don’t forget to take some photos for your IG to win vouchers.
Stand a chance to win $15 Gong Cha vouchers by posting and sharing your BTF on Instagram. Remember to tag @gongchasgofficial and @haagendazssg with the hashtag #DontHoldBackSG. 10 winners will be selected every week from November to December 2020.
(IG account needs to be public for the post to be eligible.)
Gong Cha Outlets Offering “BTF Series”
– 313 Somerset: 313 Orchard Road #01-37, Singapore 238895
– Ang Mo Kio: 703 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #01-2531, Singapore 560703
– Causeway Point: 1 Woodlands Square #02-K10, Singapore 738099
– Century Square: 2 Tampines Central 5 #01-39, Century Square, Singapore 529509
– CompassOne: Sengkang Square #02-40/41, Singapore 545078
– Funan Mall: 109 North Bridge Road #02-01, Singapore 179097
– Hougang Mall: 90 Hougang Ave 10, #B1-14/15, Singapore 538766
– Lot1: 21 Choa Chu Kang Ave 4 #04-18A, Singapore 689812
– Marina Square: 6 Raffles Boulevard #03-212, Singapore 039594
– NEX: 23 Serangoon Central #B1-44, Singapore 689812
– Northpoint: 930 Yishun Avenue 2 #01-06, North Wing of Northpoint City, Singapore 769098
– NUS Frontier: 12 Science Drive 2 Singapore 117549
– NUS UTown: Fine Food @ NUS UTown, 1 Create Way #01-04, Singapore 138602
– Paya Lebar Quarter: 10 Paya Lebar Road #B2-15, Singapore 409057
– Plaza Singapura: 68 Orchard Road #B1-K7, Plaza Singapura, Singapore 238839
– SingPost Centre: 10 Eunos Road 8 #01-141A/141B, Singapore Post Centre, Singapore 408600
– SMU: 50 Stamford Road #01-01, Lee Kong Chian Of Business, Singapore 178899
– Takashimaya: 391A Orchard Road #B2 08-7, Takashimaya Department Store, Singapore 238873
– Toa Payoh: Blk 190 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-546, Singapore 310190
– Westgate: 3 Gateway Drive #02-27, Westgate, Singapore 608532
– Woodlands MRT: 30 Woodlands Avenue 2 #01-40, Woodlands MRT Station, Singapore 738343
* This entry is brought to you in partnership with Gong Cha and Häagen-Dazs.