The Singapore Michelin Guide 2018 is out, with 39 starred restaurants and hawker stalls, though it seems like a less exciting list than previous years.
This is the 3rd edition of the Michelin Guide in Singapore.
A week earlier, it was announced that 50 food places in Singapore were awarded the Michelin Bib Gourmand Singapore, with 17 new entries and several hawker stall representations.
For the 2018 Singapore Michelin Guide, notable points are:
– Chef Ivan Brehm who previously clinched a star with The Kitchen at Bacchanalia, ‘regains’ a star with Nouri Restaurant.
– The entry of Ma Cuisine Singapore may be a surprise as it is considered very new (opened early this year) and has always been considered as a wine place and bar, more than a restaurant. The restaurant is reported to be loosely affiliated with the Michelin-recommended establishment of the same name in Beaune, Burgundy.
– OSIA Restaurant did not get its 1-star this year. That means Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) which used to have 4 restaurants in the list at one point in time, have none this year.
When preparing the selection, Michelin inspectors reviewed all types of cuisines and considered only the quality of the food.
All establishments are selected according to the same five criteria used by Michelin inspectors around the world. They are:
1) quality of the ingredients used
2) mastery of cooking techniques and flavors
3) projection of the chef’s personality in his cuisine
4) value for money
5) consistency – both over time and across the entire menu.
Other factors, such as place, décor, service and facilities offered, are supposedly not considered.
2 Michelin stars: Excellent cooking, worth a detour
The personality and talent of the chef and their team is evident in the refined, expertly crafted dishes.
– Les Amis (Shaw Centre) – French
– Odette (National Gallery Singapore) – French contemporary
– Shisen Hanten by Chef Kentaro (Mandarin Orchard Singapore) – Chinese
– Shoukouwa (One Fullerton) – Sushi
– Waku Ghin (Marina Bay Sands) – Japanese contemporary
1 Michelin Star: A very good restaurant in its category
Within their category, these establishments use quality ingredients and serve carefully prepared dishes with distinct flavours.
– Alma (Goodwood Park Hotel) – European contemporary
– Bacchanalia (HongKong Street) – Innovative
– Beni (Mandarin Gallery, Orchard) – French contemporary
– Braci (Boat Quay) – Italian contemporary
– Burnt Ends (Teck Lim Road) – Barbeque
– Candlenut (Dempsey) – Peranakan
– Cheek By Jowl (11 Boon Tat Street) – Australian contemporary
– Chef Kang’s (25 Mackenzie Road) – Cantonese
– Corner House (Botanic Gardens) – Innovative
– Crystal Jade Golden Palace (Paragon Orchard) – Chinese
– CUT (Marina Bay Sands) – Steakhouse
– Garibaldi (36 Purvis Street) – Italian
– Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodles (Crawford Lane) – Street Food
– Iggy’s (581 Orchard Road, Hilton Singapore) – European contemporary
– Imperial Treasure Fine Teochew Cuisine (ION Orchard) – Teochew
– JAAN (Swissotel the Stamford) – French contemporary
– Jiang-Nan Chun (Four Seasons Hotel) – Cantonese
– Labyrinth (Esplanade) – Innovative
– Lei Garden (CHIJMES) – Cantonese
– Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle (Chinatown Food Complex, Smith Street) – Street Food
– Ma Cuisine (38 Craig Road) – French
– Meta Restaurant (9 Keong Saik Road) – Innovative
– Nouri (Amoy Street) – Innovative
– Putien Restaurant (Kitchener Road) – Fujian
– Rhubarb Le Restaurant (Duxton Hill) – French contemporary
– Saint Pierre (One Fullerton) – French contemporary
– Shinji by Kanesaka (Carlton Hotel) – Sushi
– Shinji by Kanesaka (St Regis Hotel) – Sushi
– Summer Palace (Regent Singapore) – Cantonese
– Summer Pavilion (Ritz-Carlton, The Millenia Singapore) – Cantonese
– Sushi Ichi (Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel) – Sushi
– Sushi Kimura (Palais Renaissance) – Sushi
– The Song of India (Scotts Road) – Indian
– Whitegrass (CHIJMES) – Australian contemporary
Other Related Entries
Michelin Singapore – Restaurant Reviews
Michelin Bib Gourmand Singapore 2018
Singapore Michelin Guide 2017 – The Results
World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018
9 Best Restaurants In Singapore 2017