Ippudo remains as one of my favourite ramen restaurants.
Is it the best ramen in Singapore? Still debatable, as the quality can be inconsistent from branch to branch, but at least you know there is a certain standard.
There are over 80 Ippudo restaurants throughout Japan, and the brand has found itself in countries such as New York, Hong Kong, Seoul, Taiwan, China, Sydney, Malaysia, and Thailand.
My most preferred branch is actually at Mohamed Sultan UE Square, because it has a more extensive menu including kushiyaki dishes.
I made my way to its newest branch at Shaw Centre, which many are still unaware of their revamped extension wing. (If it helps, Ippudo is above I Want My Noodle.)
Ippudo at Shaw Centre positions itself as a smart casual dining store with a brighter interior, featuring otsumami and teppan (hot plate) dishes for sharing.
Prices are unfortunately, still considered one of the highest in Singapore if you compare this against the other mass market brands.
A bowl of regular Ippudo ramen is about $16 (without taxes yet), and that is still WITHOUT the additional toppings such as a flavoured tamago egg which will set you back by another $3. (In perspective, a bowl of similar Ippudo ramen in Tokyo Japan is 750-800 yen. That is about SGD$9.00.)
The lunch set isn’t very much cheaper at $16. From what it seems, you get only an additional of non-refillable free drink.
The ramen exclusive to the Shaw Centre branch is the Tan Tan Tonkotsu ($16), with Japanese sesame paste blended with their signature tonkotsu broth, topped with spicy minced pork miso, pork loin chashu and coriander.
The broth is spicy but not overly, with a touch of zest from the fresh lemon. My favourite element is still the long and straight springy noodles.
The other Singapore exclusive, a Spicy Black ($16) ramen which featured a minced meat miso paste, tasted quite one-dimensionally spicy. Even the spice-lover in me, didn’t quite fancy the peppery broth which was over-riding everything else.
If I were to choose a spicy ramen, I would still rather go for Akamaru Shin-Aji which has a more distinct yet less clash-y taste.
IPPUDO SG @ Shaw Centre
1 Scotts Road, #04-22/23 Shaw Centre, Singapore 228208
Tel: +65 6235 2547
Opening Hours: 11.30am – 10pm (last order for ramen at 9.30pm, last order for sides at 9.00pm)
Other Ippudo Singapore outlets
– Orchard: 333A Orchard Road, #04-02 /03 /04 Mandarin Gallery, Singapore 238897
– River Valley: 207 River Valley Road, #01-55 /56 (Along Mohamed Sultan Road)
– Asia Square: 12 Marina View #02-01 Asia Square Tower 2, Singapore 018961
– Tanjong Pagar: 7 Wallich Street, Tanjong Pagar Centre #01-15, Singapore 078884
– Westgate: 3 Gateway Drive #03-03 Westgate, Singapore 608532
– Changi Airport T2: 60 Airport Boulevard Changi Airport T2 Singapore 819643 (Departure/Transit Lounge Central, Kiosk L)
– Changi Airport T3: 65 Airport Boulevard #02-K3 Changi Airport T3, Singapore 819663 (Departure/ Transit Lounge South)
– Marina Bay Sands: 2 Bayfront Avenue #B2-54/55 The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands Singapore 018972
Other Ramen Entries
120 Ramen Shops In Singapore – The Utltimate Ramen Guide
Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King (Paya Lebar Square)
Hakata Ikkousha (CHIJMES )
Nantsuttei (Orchard Central)
Marutama Dining (Killiney Road)