Ah Mah Homemade Cake – NEW “Dirty Swiss Roll” And Design Your Own Blanket Castella Roll
“Dirty” Swiss Roll?
This is essentially Ah Mah Homemade Cake’s new creation – a Design-Your-Own Blanket Castella Roll.
(Click PLAY to watch the making of the “Dirty” Swiss Roll.)
Remember the Taiwanese-style Castella Cakes that were all the rage?
Curious onlookers would watch cakes being baked, flipped and turned, while being enticed by the aromatic egg fragrance.
Ah Mah Homemade Cake is now the largest Castella Cake chain in Singapore. To be honest, I didn’t know they already have 14 branches… and counting.
You can find their outlets at malls such as Tiong Bahru Plaza, Plaza Singapura, VivoCity, City Square Mall, Seletar Mall to JCube.
There is a branch at Changi Airport Terminal 3 as well. Didn’t realise till I walked to the side nearer to Crown Plaza Hotel.
Checked: It is possible to ta-bao a Castella Cake over to a nearby country, but it should be consumed very soon.
Design Your Own Blanket Castella Roll
This is said to be Asia’s first ever, the version 2.0 of the Castella Cake. Each is priced inexpensively at $2.50 for one, $6.90 for box of three.
The new product looks like a Swiss Roll, made with the same ingredients used for the base of Ah Mah’s Castella Cakes.
Prepared purely with milk, eggs, and quality flour. No added water, preservative, colouring or even butter; and also contains less sugar.
Similarly, the Rolls are made and baked daily in-store, to ensure quality and freshness.
The cake bases come in three different flavours: Rich Chocolate; Fragrant Pandan and Earthy Sesame.
Mix and match them with different spreads and toppings such as rushed nuts, roasted mixed sesame, chocolate rice, coconut flakes and crispy crêpes. There is a small additional charge depending on the toppings you pick.
As for the spreads, there are four to choose from: Kaya Coconut, Crunchy Choco, Luscious Cream Cheese and Classic Strawberry.
After trying a couple of combinations, these are my recommendations: the Rich Chocolate Roll with Chocolate Spread; Pandan Roll with Kaya Coconut; and Earthy Sesame with Cream Cheese.
Sesame with Kaya, or Pandan with Cream Cheese can work well too.
My favourite of the lot is Pandan Roll with Kaya Coconut, topped with shredded coconut flakes.
The Blanket Castella Roll had a spongy-soft and fluffy texture, with recognisable fragrance of pandan. Good to know that pandan used is extracted from real leaves and not from artificial essence, thus the Roll is paler green in colour.
The desiccated coconut added a pleasant bite and complemented well with the sweet kaya, in which the entire combination reminded me of Ondeh Ondeh. (If there is Gula Melaka, life would have been complete.)
Premium Choco Roll aka “Dirty” Swiss Roll
The Premium Choco Roll ($3.20) is a version that contains added ingredients – crushed peanuts and crispy flakes made from thin, sweetened crêpes wrapped within, then dusted with rich cocoa powder to finish.
The fillings within reminded me of love letters (from CNY) which added a enjoyable crunch through the soft sponge cake, while the powder could cause that “dirty” effect on your lips and teeth.
“Dirty Bread” or “Zang Zang Bao” has been the latest trending food item in Singapore, in which the face would be chocolate-stained after consuming the pastry.
This is for the chocolate lovers, as you can savour the sweet-bitter flavours of the powder, smooth spread and the spongy roll.
Do not forget about the selfie.
Ah Mah Castella Cakes
Soft, spongy Castella Cakes inspired by those made in Danshui Taiwan. The flavours that were first introduced in Singapore are the Original ($8) and Cheese ($11), and the latest additions include family-favourites of Kopi Siu Dai ($11), Sunny Orange ($11) and Rocky Chocolate ($13).
To date, Ah Mah Homemade Cake has sold over 800,000 Castella Cakes in Singapore. A million to come?
Ah Mah Homemade Cake Outlets
– Waterway Point: 83 Punggol Central, Waterway Point #B1-K6 , Singapore 828761
– Changi Airport: Terminal 3 Changi Airport, Level 2, Public Area (besides Watson)
– Compass One: Compass One, #B1-42, 1 Sengkang Square, Singapore 545078
– Lot One: Lot One, #B1-K06, 21 Choa Chu Kang Ave 4, Singapore 689812
– City Square Mall: 180 Kitchener Road #B2-K7 City Square Mall, Singapore 208539
– Tiong Bahru Plaza: 302 Tiong Bahru Road, #B1-K4 Tiong Bahru Plaza, Singapore 168732
– Seletar Mall: 33 Seng Kang West Avenue, #B1-K12 The Seletar Mall, Singapore 797653
– White Sands: 1 Pasir Ris Central Street 3 #B1-K14 White Sands, Singapore 518457
– Plaza Singapura: Plaza Singapura, 68 Orchard Road, #B2-45, Singapore 238839
– Bedok Mall: Bedok Mall, 311 New Upper Changi Road, #B2-K12, Singapore 467360
– Paya Lebar Square: Paya Lebar Square, 60 Paya Lebar Road, #B1-46, Singapore 409051
– JCube, Jurong: JCube, No.2 Jurong East Central 1, #B1-K12, Singapore 609731
– VivoCity: VivoCity, 1 Harbourfront Walk, #B2-K7, Singapore 098585
– Bukit Panjang Plaza: Bukit Panjang Plaza, 1 Jelebu Road, #01-18, Singapore 677743
Tel: +65 6325 4508 / +65 8133 8508
Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm Daily
* This entry is brought to you in partnership with Ah Mah Homemade Cake.