Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018 – Gaggan Wins (Again). Odette Is Singapore’s Top Restaurant
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurant 2018 is Gaggan from Bangkok, Thailand AGAIN. This is its 4th consecutive win.
Chef Gaggan Anand serves up a “Progressive Indian Cuisine”, with constantly evolving tasting menu matched with warm Thai-style hospitality.
The Bangkok restaurant debuted on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list in 2014, rising to No.7 last year.
Odette helmed by Chef Julien Royer is Singapore’s highest entry at Number 5, rising up four places.
That also means Tippling Club (previously at No.27) and Shinji by Kanesaka (previously at No.44) have fallen off the ranks. Restaurant Andre which was ranked 2nd in 2017’s awards, has closed in early 2018. (Is this a call for Singapore restaurants to step up in the game of gaining more awareness out of our borders?)
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018 – The Full List (Click on blue link for more detailed review)
1. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand (1) – Best Restaurant In Asia And Thailand
2. Den, Tokyo, Japan (11) – Best Restaurant In Japan
3. Florilège, Tokyo, Japan (14)
4. Sühring, Bangkok, Thailand (13)
5. Odette, Singapore (9) – Best Restaurant In Singapore
6. Les Créations de Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan (6)
7. Amber, Hong Kong, China (3)
8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai, China (8) – Art Of Hospitality Award
9. Nihonryori Ryugin, Tokyo, Japan (7)
10. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand (5)
11. Mingles, Seoul, South Korea (15) – Best Restaurant In Korea
12. Burnt Ends, Singapore (10)
13. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China (4)
14. Le Du, Bangkok, Thailand (37)
15. RAW, Taipei, Taiwan (24) – Best Restaurant In Taiwan
16. Ta Vie, Hong Kong, China (33)
17. La Cime, Osaka, Japan (NEW Entry) – Highest New Entry Award
18. Mume, Taipei, Taiwan (43) – Highest Climber Award
19. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India (30) – Best Restaurant India
20. L’Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan (12)
21. Locavore, Bali, Indonesia (22) – Best Restaurant Indonesia
22. The Chairman, Hong Kong, China (47) – Highest Climber Award
23. Waku Ghin, Singapore (20)
24. Lung King Heen, Hong Kong, China (17)
25. Ministry of Crab, Colombo, Sri Lanka (29) – Best Restaurant Sri Lanka
26. Jungsik, Seoul, South Korea (25)
27. Sushi Saito, Tokyo, Japan (27)
28. Il Ristorante – Luca Fantin, Tokyo, Japan (NEW Entry)
29. Les Amis, Singapore (16)
30. Fu He Hui, Shanghai, China (48)
31. Paste, Bangkok, Thailand (NEW Entry) – Best Female Chef
32. Neighborhood, Hong Kong, China (NEW Entry)
33. Eat Me, Bangkok, Thailand (31)
34. Hajime, Osaka, Japan (34)
35. Jade Dragon, Macau, China (31)
36. Corner House, Singapore (23)
37. Bo.lan, Bangkok, Thailand (19)
38. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan (18)
39. Issaya Siamese Club, Bangkok, Thailand (21)
40. Belon, Hong Kong, China (NEW Entry)
41. Ronin, Hong Kong, China (45)
42. Toctoc, Seoul, South Korea (NEW Entry)
43. The Dining Room at The House on Sathorn, Bangkok, Thailand (36)
44. JAAN, Singapore (42)
45. Nihonbashi, Colombo, Sri Lanka (49)
46. Caprice, Hong Kong, China (Re-entry)
47. Shoun Ryugin, Taipei, Taiwan (NEW Entry)
48. La Maison De La Nature Goh, Fukuoka, Japan (Re-entry)
49. Wasabi By Morimoto, Mumbai India (46)
50. Whitegrass, Singapore (NEW Entry)
The 2018 edition of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list boasts nine Thailand entries, including newcomer Paste (No.31), headed by Bongkoch ‘Bee’ Satongun, who is also named elit® Vodka Asia’s Best Female Chef 2018. Other returning Bangkok favourites within the top 20 include Sühring (rising nine places to No.4), Nahm (No.10) and Le Du (rising 23 entries to No.14).
Over in Japan, Den (No.2) rises nine places to earn the title of The Best Restaurant in Japan, replacing five-time title holder Narisawa (No.6). Japan claims 11 restaurants on the list, including Florilège (No.3) Nihonryori RyuGin, (No.9), Sushi Saito (No.27), Hajime (No.34), Quintessence (No.38) and La Maison De La Nature Goh (No.48). Tokyo-based Il Ristorante – Luca Fantin is a newcomer to the list, landing at No.28.
La Cime in Osaka makes its debut on the list at No.17, earning the Highest New Entry Award.
Other major award recipients include:
– Bongkoch ‘Bee’ Satongun, elit Vodka Asia’s Best Female Chef 2018
– André Chiang, winner of The Diners Club® Lifetime Achievement Award
– Jordy Navarra, Chef-Owner of Toyo Eatery, Winner of the Miele One To Watch Award
– Nicolas Lambert from Caprice, Hong Kong, Winner of Asia’s Best Pastry Chef Award
– Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai, China, The Art of Hospitality Award
How Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list is compiled
The list is created from the votes of the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, an influential group of over 300 leaders in the restaurant industry across Asia, each selected for their expert opinion of Asia’s restaurant scene.
The panel in each region is made up of food writers and critics, chefs, restaurateurs and highly regarded ‘gastronomes’. Members list their choices in order of preference, based on their best restaurant experiences of the previous 18 months. There is no pre-determined check-list of criteria, but there are strict voting rules.
February 20, 2019
February 19, 2019