Grand Castella Cake – Famous Taiwan Castella Cake In Singapore At NEX And Raffles City
Grand Castella Cake from Taiwan has arrived in Singapore at NEX Serangoon Central, and has also opened its 2nd branch at Raffles City (B1-68).
The large, fluffy and jiggly Castella Cakes must be one of the most trending food items in Singapore this year.
Part of the appeal is that customers can actually observe how the cakes were being prepared, cut and packaged right in front of you.
The baked aroma as you walk past a Castella Cake store is also very alluring.
Grand Castella Cake also known as 緣味古早味現烤蛋糕, has humble origins at the Tamsui Old Street of Taipei, first established in 2011.
It serves up fluffy versions of the Japanese Castella Cakes which are prepared and baked on the spot, with original, funky cheese and other innovative flavours.
The freshly baked cakes became a hit almost immediately, sprouting off to a 2nd outlet at Tamsui Market the subsequent year.
The original stores still continue to enjoy relatively long queues.
Here are 10 interesting facts about Castella Cake and Grand Castella Cake:
1. The Japanese Castella Cakes actually have a Portuguese origin.
2. Portuguese merchants brought the Castella Cakes called “Pao de Castela” to Japan during the 16th century.
3. The Taiwanese version is a reinterpretation of the Japanese Castella Cake, prepared by baking rather than steaming.
4. It was first introduced by Grand Castella Cake in Taiwan at Tamsui Old Street.
5. Grand Castella Cake was established 7 years ago.
6. Founder and master baker Tai-Cheng Lu learnt baking since he was 15.
7. Only natural and quality ingredients such as eggs and milk are added in the making process.
8. The Grand Castella Cake is free from added preservations.
9. It takes about 70 to 80 minutes to bake a Castella Cake. All Castella Cakes are freshly baked in-store.
10. There are now 6 Grand Castella Cake branches in Taiwan, 1 in South Korea, 1 in Vietnam, 5 other branches in Malaysia, and 2 in Singapore at NEX and Raffles City basement. There are expansion plans to launch in China.
Grand Castella Cake Singapore
Grand Castella Cake is brought in by a group of individuals with varied backgrounds, who were all won by the taste and texture after they first tried it at Tamsui Taipei.
The Singapore outlet is offering flavours of Original ($9.90), Cheese ($11.90), and Chocolate ($12.90, available on rotational basis).
In addition, there will be a NEW Pandan flavour that local customers should be excited about as this is exclusive to the Singapore market.
When I first saw the Castella Cake presented out, I noticed one big differentiating factor – the appearance.
Instead of a logo stamp, Grand Castella Cake’s golden crisp top was distinctive with marks of waves. That created slight crispy bites along certain parts.
I liked the texture – the sponge was soft and fluffy, yet still stayed in shape and didn’t go overly flaccid after a while.
Tip: The Castella Cake is best eaten after they are hot and fresh from the oven. However, you can in the fridge for three days in which it stayed cool and soft, an enjoyment when paired with tea.
Between the two, I preferred the Cheese due to the added saltiness for a more layered taste.
Look out for the cheese ooze when the large cake is being cut.
One good thing about the Cheese flavour was the double layers – more cheese in proportion. The contrast in textures of melty cheese and wobbly sponge was also delightfully satisfying.
Chocolate (12.90, available on rotational basis)
This should be a kids’ favourite – rich chocolate base with chocolate chips for the added crunch. Keep some in the fridge for a different eating experience.
Grand Castella Cake Singapore will also be introducing a Chocolate Chip Cake in time to come, so look out for it.
Pandan Flavour ($10.90, available on rotational basis)
This Pandan Cake was lightly sweet and fragrant, and has been a hit with Singaporeans.
I would usually introduce the chiffon version of this cake to friends overseas. Looks like I have an alternative now!
Grand Castella Cake Singapore – Raffles City Opening Promotion
Raffles City outlet will be having a 1-for-1 on 26th Dec (Tues), while stock lasts.
Terms & Conditions
– The FREE cake will be the Original Flavour.
– Limit to 1 purchase per customer (meaning you can bring back a maximum of 2 boxes of cakes)
– LIKE either https://www.facebook.com/GrandCastellaCakeSG OR https://www.instagram.com/grandcastellacakesg/.
Grand Castella Cake Singapore – NEX
NEX #03-K19/20, 23 Serangoon Central, Singapore 556083 (Serangoon MRT station)
Opening Hours: 10:00am – 10:00pm (Mon – Sun)
Raffles City Shopping Centre
#B1-68, 252 North Bridge Rd, Singapore 179103 (City Hall, Esplanade MRT Station Exit G)
* This entry is brought to you in partnership with Grand Castella Cake Singapore.
February 22, 2019
Udon Kamon – NEW Udon Restaurant With Widest Range Of Broths In Singapore. 1-For-1 Udon From 21-23 Feb 2019
February 18, 2019