Opus Bar & Grill – 1-1.2KG Bourbon Whiskey Aged Tomahawk Steak, With Free Flow Wine At Hilton Singapore
The Tomahawk Steak has been getting viral on social media, making its rounds on Salt Bae’s smooth steak-slicing videos, and on clips showing fascination of its substantial size.
This long-handled steak has been used by chefs in Michelin starred restaurants, because it looks outstanding on the table and has a unique taste.
Opus Bar & Grill at Hilton Singapore has recently introduced Tomahawk Steak with a difference – bourbon whiskey-aged, 1 to 1.2 kg U.S. California Tomahawk steak. IMPRESSIVE.
The bourbon whiskey-aging is done in a custom-made Himalayan salt tile cabinet for up to 21 days.
This process is said to increase the meat flavour – allowing enzymes naturally present in the meat to break down the muscle tissue, also resulting in improved textures.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Certified and 365-day grain-fed Tomahawk steak, all large and impressive, serves two and is priced at $128.
[Look out for the “Steak & Wine” Promo to enjoy 2-hour free flow wines (Sun to Thu) OR 50% off selected wine by the bottle (Fri & Sat). Also quote “DFD30OPUS” to enjoy 2 complimentary glasses of Misconception (Smoked Bourbon Whiskey) cocktail with order of the NEW Tomahawk steak.]
Here are 10 things about Opus Bar & Grill’s Bourbon Whiskey Aged U.S. Tomahawk Steak:
1. The Tomahawk Steak is a cut of beef ribeye that has five or more inches of extra rib bone. The long bone is French-trimmed, leaving a presentation which should be a talking point on the dinner table.
2. This cut is called the “Tomahawk” because the steak with the long bone resembles a single-handed axe. It has also been nicknamed the “Game of Thrones-style bone”.
3. Drying aging the meat helps enzymes naturally break down the muscle fibre and connective tissues, softening the meat and improving its flavour.
4. Hilton Singapore uses specially commissioned Himalayan salt tile cabinet to age their meats for up to 21 days. The cabinet not only helps to deter bacterial growth, and also infuses the meat with a hint of Himalayan-salty notes.
5. During the bourbon whiskey-aging process, the alcohol-soaked cloth is wrapped round the steak in a temperature-controlled environment for up to 3 weeks. The Opus chefs also regularly spray whisky on the Tomahawk in the cabinet.
6. The alcohol will permeate through the Tomahawk over time, imbuing subtle whiskey notes of vanilla and wood.
7. The steak is then cooked over open-flame charcoal grills for a more intense depth of aroma and flavour.
8. A load of flavours is released from both the large bone and inter-muscular fat during grilling.
9. The Tomahawk is about 2 inches thick, and weight 1 to 1.2kg, making it ideal for sharing between two for a special occasion.
10. If you like bone-in steaks such as the Porterhouse, you are most likely to enjoy the Tomahawk Steak as the primary muscle (back muscle) is similar.
True enough, my girl friends at the table were in love with the Tomahawk – tender, large amount of marbling, flavourful cut, quite fatty at parts that melted in the mouth.
There are also accompanying sauces offered from garlic herb butter, black truffle & mushroom, green peppercorn, and bone marrow with red wine.
However, I would recommend first having the steak on its own, to appreciate the subtle bourbon whiskey notes.
You should also pair the steak with Opus Sides ($6 each) from a selection of Mac & Cheese, Garlic Mash Potato, Truffle Fries, Arugula with vine tomatoes and shaved parmesan, Baby Green Salad, Portobello Mushroom, Grilled Green Asparagus, and Smoked Risotto, Leek & Pecorino.
I personally liked the Truffle Fries (actually one of the better ones in Singapore), Portobello Mushrooms and Asparagus (for some greens and crunch that pair well with meats.)
Other Opus’ charcoal-grilled prime cuts include:
– NEW: 1 to 1.2kg U.S. California Tomahawk whiskey-aged, 365 days grain-fed ($128 for 2)
– Signature 800g Australian Rangers Valley Angus OP rib dry-aged, marble score 4 ($120 for 2)
– 1 to 1.2kg Black Angus Porterhouse, marble score 3 ($128 for 2)
– 220g Kobe-cuisine Australian Wagyu rib-eye, marble score 6 ($92)
– 250g Grainge Angus rib-eye or 220g tenderloin, 150 days grain-fed ($58, $62)
– 220g Greater Omaha sirloin, rib-eye or tenderloin, 100 days corn-fed ($68, $88, $78)
For non-steak eaters, other standout dishes you can choose from are Roasted Sakura Chicken ($48 for 2), 300g Australian Rack of Lamb ($38), 300g DeRaza Iberico Pork ($35), and Wild Sea Bass served with clams, black mussels, artichokes and vine tomatoes ($38).
To end the satisfying steak meal on a sweet note, highlight desserts offered are the Signature Charcoal Grilled Banana with smoked salted caramel, coconut and calamansi ice-cream ($12), Bombe Alaska ($14) and Chocolate Dome ($14).
Also look out for the extensive selection of drinks, concocted by new Head Mixologist Yadhaven Santheran, who can prepare a range from classics to fresh, interesting concoctions.
Misconception ($18++ per glass) which is Smoked Bourbon Whiskey is one of his new signature cocktails – an easy and refreshing choice with chalky three-grain Bulleit Bourbon, homemade 7-spice syrup and smoked hickory wood chips.
In conjunction with the launch of whiskey-aged Tomahawk, Misconception is a preview into his revamped cocktail list launching in Mid-November at Opus Bar showcasing a range of unique concoctions with homemade liqueurs.
Opus Bar & Grill “Steak and Wine” Promo
With any order of Opus prime cuts from $58 onwards, enjoy either
– A 2-hour free flow of sparkling, white and red wines from Sunday to Thursday or
– 50% OFF selected wine by the bottle on Friday and Saturday.
Opus X DanielFoodDiary.com Promo
Order the new U.S. Tomahawk Steak ($128++ for 2 persons), enjoy the special “Steak and Wine” Promo, PLUS first 30 readers to quote “DFD30OPUS” gets 2 complimentary glasses of Misconception (Smoked Bourbon Whiskey) cocktail specially concocted by the new Opus Bar Mixologist Yadhaven.
Terms & Conditions
– 1 redemption per table
– Limited to first 30 bookings
– Prior reservations required. Quote promo code “DFD30OPUS” to utilize offer.
Opus Bar & Grill
Hilton Singapore Lobby Level, 581 Orchard Road Singapore 238883
Tel: +65 6730 3390
Email: [email protected]
Opening Hours: Dinner 6:30pm – 10:30pm (Mon – Sun)
Bar 10:00am – 12:00am (Mon – Sun)
* This entry is brought to you in partnership with Hilton Singapore.
Paradise Group – 9 Exciting Restaurant Concepts + $50 E-Vouchers For Paradise Gourmet Rewards Members
October 14, 2017