Ippudo Ramen – Bak Kut Teh Inspired Ramen, And NEW Outlet At Tanjong Pagar Centre
Ippudo Ramen has opened its 9th outlet at Tanjong Pagar Centre, its 2nd in the CBD other than Asia Square. (I lost count.)
Few ramen-lovin’ friends have asked me, ”How is it?”, and I possibly had given a boring-sounding “It’s Ippudo lor.”
Actually, I meant it not in a bad way, as Ippudo has by far been quite consistent in all its branches (except that I have yet to try its express outlets.).
Three of Ippudo’s seasonal ramen creations – Spicy Black Ramen ($19 for basic, $22 with tamago), Chuka Soba ($16, $19) and Hakata Niku Soba ($17, $20) – are all brought back by popular demand.
The Spicy Black Ramen ($22, I got the egg version) features a homemade miso paste prepared with a medley of spices and peppers, which is interestingly said to be inspired by the Singapore’s iconic Bak Kut Teh.
Even though I was all-ready for spices, I found the broth on the spicy-hot side, and needed to reach out for more water than usual.
I was on the fence for this, as this ramen was even more ‘potent’ and intense than the hot Akamaru Shinaji version (fans of Ippudo would identify this by the red bowl).
While it could activate all your tastebuds, I thought the level of richness could hinder appreciation of the tonkotsu base and noodles.
The new side dishes include the Teppan Chashu Hamburg ($15) of handchopped pork patty topped with a raw egg yolk with homemade teriyaki sauce; and Salmon Katsu ($18) of raw salmon coated with breadcrumbs then then deep-fried where the inside would still be pinkish.
I had the Aburi Beef Sushi with Ikura ($18) as recommended by the service staff, featuring Hokkaido sushi rice wrapped with pan-seared prime beef slices, topped with fresh ikura.
The roe provided burst of saltiness, and I thought this was a not-bad side dish, without major surprises.
For more budget-concerned diners, lunch time ramen are available at $15 – $17, with a side dish top-up at $3.
(Oh yes, check out who I saw queuing for Ippudo Ramen… sometimes it is good to check out the competition.)
Ippudo Tanjong Pagar Centre
Tanjong Pagar Centre #01-15, 7 Wallich Street, Singapore 078884
Tel: +65 6235 2547
Opening Hours: 11:00am – 10:00pm (Sun – Thurs), 11:00am – 11:00pm (Fri – Sat)
(Last order for A La Carte 1hr before closing & Ramen at 40 mins)
Other Ippudo Singapore outlets
– Orchard: 333A Orchard Road, #04-02 /03 /04 Mandarin Gallery, Singapore 238897
– River Valley: 207 River Valley Road, #01-55 /56 (Along Mohamed Sultan Road)
– Shaw Centre: 1 Scotts Road #04-22 /23 Shaw Centre, Singapore 228208
– Asia Square: 12 Marina View #02-01 Asia Square Tower 2, Singapore 018961
– Westgate: 3 Gateway Drive #03-03 Westgate, Singapore 608532
– Changi Airport T2: 60 Airport Boulevard Changi Airport T2 Singapore 819643 (Departure/Transit Lounge Central, Kiosk L)
– Changi Airport T3: 65 Airport Boulevard #02-K3 Changi Airport T3, Singapore 819663 (Departure/ Transit Lounge South)
– Marina Bay Sands: 2 Bayfront Avenue #B2-54/55 The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands Singapore 018972
February 22, 2019
February 21, 2019