Kuro-Obi – Ippudo Launches Chicken Ramen Takeaway Concept At Marina Bay Sands
Kuro-Obi was first launched in New York, and this Singapore MBS outlet is its first overseas foray.
Interesting to know: this is the first concept by Ippudo with a chicken-based Tori Paitan ramen.
The signature is the Kuro Obi Original ($12) which comes in a takeaway bowl, with a creamy chicken broth base served with chicken chashu, diced onion, spinach, seaweed and egg.
Other variants include Aka-Obi ($10) mixed in with spicy miso pasta, Cha Obi ($9) which has a vegetable shoyu broth, and Shiro-Obi ($8) – the original with no egg and seaweed.
The bowl of noodles can be customized by choosing from texture of the noodles to soup concentration, stock richness to condiment add-on such as garlic and onion.
I picked “Normal” for all choices.
First feedback (which is similar to what several of my friends had commented) was that the broth was too salty, and somewhat oily.
I can understand why. The soup was oilier than usual as this is a takeaway concept, and the oil would help keep the soup warm enough.
With that said, I did feel that the saltiness masked the delicate creaminess of the chicken broth.
For fans of Ippudo’s Hakata style straight, long and thin noodles, you may be disappointed to know that the noodles here are the yellowish, thicker, shorter type – as it supposedly keeps better and does not turn soggy so easily.
At least the chicken chashu was tender and tasty.
Side dishes of Chicken Rice, Tori Chashu Meshi, Tori Karaage, Takoyaki are available.
Ordered the Tori Karaage and was thankful I had 3 instead of 5 – the pieces were just too oily and not crisp enough.
Thankfully, Kuro-Obi is considered wallet-friendly in high-end Marina Bay Sands, with ramen starting from $8.
If not, Ippudo fans can still choose to dine-in at the 90-seater restaurant next door.
Kuro-Obi Marina Bay Sands
Bayfront Avenue #B2-54/55 Marina Bay Sands Singapore 018972 (beside Skating Rink and Rasapura)
Opening Hours: 10:30am – 11:00pm (Sun – Thurs, PH), 10:30am – 11:30pm (Fri, Sat, Eve of PH)
Other Ippudo Singapore outlets
– Orchard: 333A Orchard Road, #04-02 /03 /04 Mandarin Gallery, Singapore 238897
– River Valley: 207 River Valley Road, #01-55 /56 (Along Mohamed Sultan Road)
– Shaw Centre: 1 Scotts Road #04-22 /23 Shaw Centre, Singapore 228208
– Asia Square: 12 Marina View #02-01 Asia Square Tower 2, Singapore 018961
– Tanjong Pagar: 7 Wallich Street, Tanjong Pagar Centre #01-15, Singapore 078884
– Westgate: 3 Gateway Drive #03-03 Westgate, Singapore 608532
– Changi Airport T2: 60 Airport Boulevard Changi Airport T2 Singapore 819643 (Departure/Transit Lounge Central, Kiosk L)
– Changi Airport T3: 65 Airport Boulevard #02-K3 Changi Airport T3, Singapore 819663 (Departure/ Transit Lounge South)
Keong Saik Bakery – Traditional Vibes Meets Contemporary Bakes. Matcha Salted Egg Buns And Black Danish Pastry
July 24, 2017
MUJI – Biggest Store In Singapore At Plaza Singapura. Serving Pork Katsu Donburi and Cheese Baked Butter Curry Rice
July 24, 2017