Talad Neon – Downtown Night Market At Bangkok With Hipster Food. Slightly Underwhelming
[Bangkok] To be honest, given the online hype and all the viral videos I had been watching, the Talad Neon Market turned out to be slightly underwhelming.
Talad Neon Downtown Night Market is located between Phetchaburi Road Soi 23 and 29. It is owned by the same owner of Platinum Mall, and this is their first new outdoor night market venture in Pratunam.
This relatively new night market at Bangkok had set some lights off, and plane rides over.
However, the very first thing I noticed was ironically the lack of neon lights.
Given that the photos during the opening days displayed a colour array from top view, there was none of that when I visited.
The occupancy rate of the stalls seemed to be slightly lower than expected. About 30% estimated were closed.
While the opening hours were indicated as 4pm on their facebook, the stalls were still setting up when I visited at about 4:30pm (I returned again during night-time.)
Here are some things to know about Talad Neon:
– This is one of the largest night market in Bangkok with over 900 shops. (However, about 30% of the shops were closed when I was there.)
– There is a zone of 24 business shops in containers, 26 food vendors in trucks.
– Accessories, clothes, cosmetics, food and drinks are sold
– Food highlights include: Siam crispy rice, Somtum Pra Paow Panom Shop, Barbie and Bottle which is beef steak served with special seasoning
– There is enough parking for 200 cars.
– The night market is located next to Paladium Shopping Mall.
– You can walk from Platinum Mall, estimated 10-15 minutes.
– Located between BTS Chidlom Station and MRT Makkasan Station (walk for at least 15-20 minutes)
– The night market is opened from Thursdays to Sundays.
Here are some of the food stalls you may find at Talad Neon:
Mango Sticky Rice and Mango Smoothies
Rainbow Galaxy “High Cocktail”
Garlic Seafood Platter
Asman Roti (looks like roti prata to me)
Fish Balls, Shrimp Balls, and Sausages
Angel Blood (Blue Hawaii) and Devil Blood (Fruit Punch)
Meat & Cheese
Salt Baked Fish
Cute Character Chocolates
Is this it?! The plus point is, well… the market was not too crowded and would be relatively easy to navigate without bumping into others. A friend actually liked the feeling of having space and ample tables to dine.
Food queues were also not long, and the wait should be comparatively shorter in contrast to more popular night markets like the New Talad Rod Fai.
Compared to say Artbox, the food was not as OTT-hipster, but you would be able to get some proper meals and Thai dishes.
If you are downtown near the Pratunum area (where a lot of Singaporeans go to), I think it is still worth a visit if you do not have intention to visit the other night markets in Bangkok.
You can dedicate about an hour here (plus minus) if you are not doing any major eating or shopping.
Talad Neon – “Downtown Night Market”
ตลาดนีออน – “ตลาดนัดกลางคืนใจกลางกรุง”
1087 New Petchaburi Rd, Khwaeng Makkasan, Khet Ratchathewi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10400 (Between Phetchaburi Soi 23 and 29) Bangkok, Thailand (BTS Chitlom Station)
Tel: +66 2 121 8000
Opening Hours: 5:00pm – 12:00am (Thurs – Sun)
Google Maps – Talad Neon
10 Michelin Street Food In Bangkok – From Michelin-Starred Jay Fai, To Jay Oh’s Tom Yum Mama And Sanyod’s Roast Duck
November 16, 2018
Sanguan Sri – Popular & Hidden Old School Thai Restaurant In Bangkok City, That Many Tourists Do Not Know About
November 15, 2018