Gudetama Café Singapore – The Food Actually Can Make It, At Suntec City
Popular Sanrio Character Gudetama finally has its own café in Singapore at Suntec City. How EGG-citing.
There are so many fans of this lazy, grumpy egg character that sleeps all day long. It is about time.
So the question I keep getting is: Is Gudetama Cafe Singapore, in terms of food, better than the rest? *Sensitive topic*, but I will come to that.
Here are 10 things we know about the 1st Gudetama Café in Singapore:
1. Gudetama Café Singapore will be located at Suntec City Mall #01-361.
2. It is anticipated to open to the public on 30th November 2016 (Wednesday).
3. It is a 2,300 square feet cafe.
4. The 112-seater cafe will consist of a main dining area and an indoor garden with a green wall and a Gudetama water fountain.
5. The theme for the interior is that of a “Food Playground” with animated walls, waffle ceilings, and egg shaped booths.
6. The experience will be completed with perfect photo opportunities with the Gudetama figurines.
7. This new themed cafe is started by homegrown brands Joe & Dough and The Soup Spoon.
8. Local bento artist @LittleMissBento is the one working on the food styling and co-creating the menu with the team. (WOW, congrats!)
9. The menu will consist of 10 main courses, 4 side dishes, 5 desserts, 2 kids’ meals and a range of specialty drinks.
10. Prices for main courses range from $18.00 to $38.00 and prices for side dishes start from $12.50.
Some of the signature dishes include:
“I’m Cold” Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict ($26.90)
Poached eggs with smoked salmon over mashed avocado on brioche toast drizzled with Yuzu hollandaise sauce, served with seasonal greens.
Rib-“I” Don’t Care (200g)
Chargrilled prime angus ribeye steak topped with creamy wild mushroom sauce, served with mashed potato and garden vegetables.
Gudetama Lobster Onsen ($16.00)
Velvety lobster bisque with poached egg in bread bowl served with seasonal greens.
“Are You Busy” Burger ($27.50)
Double prime beef patties, melted cheese, bacon and sunny side egg with toasted brioche bun.
“Kawaii” sushi cakes made with egg sponge and cheesecake coated with rice pops, served with maple syrup and matcha “wasabi” curd.
“Shoyu Ramen” Set ($21.50)
“Ramen” dessert made with chocolate and feuilletine cake topped with layers of chestnut Mont Blanc and earl grey jelly, served with a side of panna cotta and sweetened rose tea.
Gude Pudding ($16.90)
Caramel, flan, with premium vanilla soft serve, caramelised bananas, apple crumble and a crispy sesame orange tuile.
In terms of food, I would say better than Hong Kong’s, more promising than some of the other character cafes in Singapore, but will probably need some tweaking. Some of the savouries were slightly on the saltier side. Cakes could have been more moist.
My personal favourite are the Gude Pudding, “Are You Busy” Burger, and a tie between the Eggs Benedict and Lobster Onsen bisque soup. (@Stormscape’s Top 3 are the pudding, pork ribs and lobster soup.)
The pudding was wobbly and soft, added with a mixture of ingredients of layered texture such as crisp sesame orange tuile (baked wafer).
After having the Lobster Onsen, my initial thought was “This is so Soup Spoon…” and the flavours and consistency would remind you of one of those rustic soups sold there. Could have more of that ‘bisque’ element.
To be honest, I know many have ‘given up hope’ on themed cafes in Singapore due to the sub-par food or inconsistency.
I think Gudetama Cafe Singapore manages to score in terms of creating a playground type of space, and food is reasonably decent considering its constraints.
Will be a hit. Now, time to wake up, not be ‘nua’ and brave the queue.
Gudetama Cafe Singapore
Suntec City Mall #01-361/362/363/364 (West Wing), 3 Temasek Boulevard Singapore 038983
Opening Hours: 10am – 10pm (Mon – Sun) Last Order 9:30pm
10 NEW Restaurants Singapore January 2018 – Hawaiian Pancakes, German Burgers, And Korean Grill Meats
January 06, 2018
Wakanui Grill Dining – Steakhouse Using Meats From New Zealand And Cooking Techniques Of Japan, At Marina One
January 06, 2018