Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016 – Gaggan Is Asia’s Best Restaurant Again!
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurant for 2016 is Gaggan from Bangkok, Thailand again!
Now in its fourth year, the 2016 list welcomes 10 new entries. China counts 13 restaurants on the list while Singapore and Japan each have 10. With 13 nations represented, the 2016 list includes restaurants from more countries and territories than ever before.
Also, Pastry Chef Cheryl Koh from Les Amis Singapore won Best Pastry Chef. Congrats!
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2016
1. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
2. Les Créations de Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
3. Restaurant Andre, Singapore
4. Amber, Hong Kong, China
5. Nihonryori Ryugin, Tokyo, Japan
6. Waku Ghin, Singapore
7. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai, China
8. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand
9. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India
10. Lung King Heen, Hong Kong, China
11. Hajime, Osaka, Japan
12. Les Amis, Singapore
13. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China
14. Burnt Ends (Singapore)
15. Mingles, Seoul, Korea
16. L’Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan
17. Corner House, Singapore
18. Fu He Hui, Shanghai, China
19. Issaya Siamese Club, Bangkok, Thailand
20. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan
21. Shinji by Kanesaka, Singapore
22. Jungsik, Seoul, South Korea
23. Eat Me, Bangkok, Thailand
24. Takazawa, Tokyo, Japan
25. Ministry of Crab, Colombo, Sri Lanka
26. Sushi Saito, Tokyo, Japan
27. The Chairman, Hong Kong, China
28. Mr & Mrs Bund, Shanghai, China
29. JAAN, Singapore
30. Le Mout, Tai Chung, China
31. Tippling Club, Singapore
31. La Maison De La Nature Goh, Fukuoka, Japan
33. Tenku RyuGin, Hong Kong, China
34. Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong, China
35. Robuchon Au Dome, Macau, China
36. Iggy’s, Singapore
37. Den, Tokyo, Japan
38. Wild Rocket, Singapore
39. Gallery Vask, The Philippines
40. L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Hong Kong, China
41. Bo Innovation, Hong Kong, China
42. Kikunoi, Kyoto, Japan
43. Cuisine Wat Damnak, Siem Reap, Cambodia
44. Wasabi By Morimoto, Mumbai India
45. Bukhara, New Delhi, India
46. Raw, Taipei, Taiwan
47. Nihonbashi, Colombo, Sri Lanka
48. Ta Vie, Hong Kong, China
49. Locavore, Bali, Indonesia
50. La Yeon, Seoul, South Korea
The 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award Goes to Chef David Thompson of Nahm, Florilège in Tokyo as “One to Watch for” restaurant, and Filipino chef Margarita “Gaita” Forés as Asia’s Best Female Chef.
How Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list is compiled
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants is created by The Diners Club® Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, an influential group of over 300 leaders in the restaurant industry across Asia, each selected for their expert opinion of Asia’s restaurant scene.
The Academy is divided into six voting regions: India & Subcontinent; South-East Asia – South; South-East Asia – North; Hong Kong, Taiwan & Macau; mainland China & Korea; Japan. The divisions are designed to represent the Asian restaurant scene as fairly as possible at the current time and are agreed with the Academy Chairs.
Each region has its own panel of 53 members including a chairperson to head it up. The panel is made up of food writers and critics, chefs, restaurateurs and highly regarded ‘foodies’. Each panellist has seven restaurant votes. Of the seven votes, at least three must be used to recognise restaurants outside of the voter’s home country.
November 22, 2017
November 22, 2017