Lab Made – Liu Sha Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream
[Hong Kong] Lab Made’s Liu Sha Custard nitrogen ice cream is the bomb! Creamy, dense, pulsating with salted egg yolk custard flavour, as though you are having the bun fillings, but cold. The bad news is, the flavour only comes once in a while. Good luck.
Although Lab Made was founded only in recent 2012, it has quickly become one of Hong Kong’s most popular ice cream brands. Some reasons for their success:
Liquid nitrogen ice cream
Here’s how the science works. The liquid nitrogen technique freezes the ice cream to -196℃, resulting in smaller ice crystals due to the fast freezing, and thus smoother texture.
The usual commercial ice cream requires a longer time of at least 10 minutes to freeze. Lab Made uses a fraction at 60 seconds.
Made to order
Ice cream made to order. While waiting for about 2 minutes, you watch the gimmicky nitrogen gas dispense.
Flavours change every 2 weeks
They know their target customers, who can get bored and fickle with the usual flavours. There is always something exciting to try every fortnight, and you may need a long time (say months) for your favourite flavours to return.
Flavours like never before
Apply Crumble, Mango and Coconut Rice, Crunchy Sea Salt Gelato with Caramel Sauce, Pandan Cake with Coconut, Red Jujube, Goji and Black Sugar, Super Lemon Meringue Pie, Crispy Banocolate, Rum and Raisin Cake, Tim Tam Chocolate, Rocky Road, Tofu & Black Sugar, Strawberry & Yakult, Lemon Ribena Greek Yogurt, and Chinese Beancurd Dessert.
The flavours are so varied and different.
I liked that they played with the strength of their culture, thus finding Hong Kong desserts such as “Liu Sha Bao” aka HK Custard Bun is intriguing while creating a sense of familiarity. On the flipside, some combinations could taste odd.
Tsim Sha Tsui Shop: Shop 42, G/F, Miramar Shopping Centre, 132 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon (Below Knutsford Terrace), Hong Kong
Opening Hours: 12pm – 12am (Sun-Thurs), 12pm – 1am (Fri-Sat)
– Tai Hang Main Store: G/F, 6,Brown Street, Tai Hang, Hong Kong
– Tseung Kwan O Shop: Food Kiosk No.3, 1/F, East Point City, Hang Hau, Tseung Kwan O, New Territories.
– Tuen Mun Shop: Shop 3219 & 3221, 3/F, Phase I, Tuen Mun Town Plaza, 1 Tuen Shun Street, Tuen Mun, New Territories
– Repulse Bay Shop: Shop No. 105, Level 1, The Pulse, No. 28 The Beach Road, Repulse Bay, HK
– Kiosk 1, 2/F, Kolour (City Landmark I), 68 Chung On Street, Tsuen Wan, NT
– Shop B, G/F, Soundwill Plaza II – Midtown, 1 Tang Lung Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Publico Deli – Italian-Inspired Deli With All Day Breakfast, At InterContinental Singapore Robertson Quay
October 17, 2017