40 Ways to Lose Weight!
My 1 Million kg Challenge is to lose 3 kg this year to below 70kg (and below BMI of 23.0). People ask me how I am even going to start with it “Losing weight is so tough lah, especially when we are passed a certain age. And these statements come from people younger than me!
The truth is, I get multiple food invites every single day. Going for food tastings whether hosted or self has become part of my work schedule the last few years or so. Yet, my weight has remained more or less than same the last 5 years. (And for those who say I am the kind who doesn’t get fat from eating, you obviously didn’t see my fat photos. I was in TAF Club one okay?)
These are some 40 ways you can do to lose weight – some for physical activities and some for food & nutrition. I am not saying you should do EVERYTHING. But you CAN do a few.
If you look through the list, there are probably 1-2 items from each section you CAN start incorporating in your life now. Really, weight loss is a journey, so take small steps at a time. You can do it!
Something I have been doing regularly. No 1 – Aiming for 150 minutes of physical activities per week. I make Group Exercise classes a part of my weekly routine. Sometimes you will feel shy trying it out alone, so get a few exercise kakis along! We all look truly happy Zumba-ing.
For Physical Activities
1. I can aim for 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
2. I can spread my physical activities throughout the week.
3. I can take a 10 minutes physical activity break after sitting for 90 minutes.
4. I can get my family to join in exercising together.
5. I can find an exercise or gym buddy, to motivate me to exercise 3 times a week.
6. I can plan my exercise routine – start slow and steady (like a walk along Gardens by the Bay) and build up gradually.
7. I can sign up for trial fitness sessions.
8. I can try a new activity this year…. Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, Body Pump, Tennis?
9. I can allocate a day (Sunday) to bond with my family over activities at the park.
10. I can post my workout selfies on facebook and instagram just to feel motivated. (Inspired by a certain MP.)
11. I can take the stairs instead of the lift.
12. I can alight 1 bus stop, or 1 MRT stop earlier and walk to my destination.
13. I can park the car at the furthest lot and walk.
14. I can take my dog out for a walk more regularly.
15. I can wash my car – burns some calories and saves money too!
16. I can download fitness apps (iDAT, GymPact, Hot5, Weight Watchers Mobile, RunKeeper) to keep track of daily physical activities.
17. I can locate nearby exercise facilities (to company/school/home) to work out during lunch.
18. I will buy a new pair of running shoes, makes me feel good, and make sure I use it.
19. I can sign up for a gym near my house or workplace. (Remember the hardest part of any workout is the showing up.)
20. I can try doing some ‘deskercise’ at the office (eg seated leg raises, desk squats, stretches)
I did a No 8 – Trying out a new activity (Zumba Step!) this year. It feels quite ‘siong’ initially, but you can make new friends and challenge yourself both physically and mentally, plus have fun in doing something new. I also signed up for the course, hope I get a place.
For Food & Nutrition
21. I can drink more plain water (8 glasses of water) throughout the day.
22. I can include vegetables and fruits (2 servings each) in each meal.
23. I can switch to healthier food options such as brown rice and wholegrain noodles.
24. I can choose products with the Healthier Choice Symbol.
25. I can choose smaller portions for meals (especially when I am not feeling hungry).
26. I can ask for ‘siu dai’ less sugar or ‘kosong’ no sugar in my tea or coffee.
27. I can cook with healthier oils such as olive oil.
28. I can ask for less rice (from the chai peng stall) and noodles. And less gravy!
29. I can track my daily food intake with the iDAT app.
30. I can make it a point to read nutritional information before buying products.
31. I can eat more food that are steamed or boiled..
32. I can use less dressing in salad or sandwiches. And low-fat please.
33. I can have more fibre (wholegrains, fruits, vegetables) to make you feel full longer.
34. I can aim for or maintain a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) of 18.5-22.9.
35. I can choose fresh fruit over fruit juice.
36. I can cook my own meal more often to control what goes into the food and portion size.
37. I can ask for less or no gravy and sauces in dishes.
38. I can avoid late night snacking and suppers!
39. I can share a dessert/cake with my friend rather than buying one each.
40. And lastly, I can pledge to lose weight in the 1 Million kg Challenge!
Aiming to have more salads for lunch rather than main courses. Plus No. 32 – cutting down on dressings.
More about the 1 Million kg Challenge
To motivate yourself to lose more weight, I would encourage you and your friends get on the 1 Million kg Challenge website at http://bit.ly/N2UVEs. You just need pledge to lose 3kg.
If you weigh in at a Wellness Kiosk at one of the HPB roadshows and when you have achieved your weight loss goal, you will be eligible to win a Golden Ticket to qualify for the grand prize draw. Prizes include an All-New 2014 Suzuki SWIFT, vacation package to Australia, shopping vouchers and staycation!
Note: The Challenge is open to participants who are aged 18 to 64, who have a BMI that falls within the range of 18.5 to 37.4. Sign up HERE now!
Other Related Entries
The 1 Million kg Challenge – If I Can Lose Weight, You Can Too!
Paradise Group – 9 Exciting Restaurant Concepts + $50 E-Vouchers For Paradise Gourmet Rewards Members
October 14, 2017
October 10, 2017