The 1 Million kg Challenge – If I Can Lose Weight, You Can Too!
People always ask how I stay in shape as a Food Blogger. It is not as if I just eat and eat, and do nothing about it. In fact, it is my 2014 New Resolution to hit below 70kg, and thus below a BMI of 23.0 to stay in the healthy range.
Try calculating your BMI now (Weight in kg / Height x Height in metres, eg 71 / 1.75 x 1.75 = 23.2). A BMI value of 23 and above will indicate that your weight is outside the healthy range of your height.
Oh no. I need more motivation. I need companions to help me lose weight. This is what friends are for right?
So when I read that the Health Promotion Board (HPB) has organised a 1 Million kg Challenge, I immediately say “ONz” to it!
Basically, the 1 Million kg Challenge is a weight management programme by the HPB which will help motivate and support Singapore residents to achieve and manage healthy body weight.
The aim: To collectively lose 1 Million kg by 2015. Can do right?
Start of 2013 vs End of 2013
The main purpose for me to lose weight is really for health. Whenever I eat too much and lose track of exercising (the usual reasons: no time, too much work), I find myself getting lethargic and falling sick more easily.
My family has a history of heart and cholesterol problems. All the more I should aim to stay healthy, for my own family, and for myself.
Plus there is a bit of self-esteem issue and vanity reasons (wanting to look good in clothes, especially skinny jeans), I got slightly depressed and refused to look at the mirror after I went past my limit of 75kg to 78kg. Swimming pools? Avoided them totally.
Early 2013, I saw myself in the mirror, took a selfie of myself, and said, “That’s it. I cannot stand this anymore. I will do it!” and went on a journey of losing about 5-6 kg over the year.
Start of 2013 vs End of 2013
There are just 3 things I want to say
1) Anyone can lose weight. We should stop finding excuses.
2) If I, a food blogger who literally eats to earn living can lose weight, you can too.
3) Losing weight is really not painful and can be a joy and give a great sense of achievement.
Limit yourself. Eat less. Share with your friends.
To put things simply, I did an Add 3 and Cut 3.
– Add exercise – Just aim for 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
– Add friends – Fix a schedule with good friends, go for workouts together. Say join a Zumba class.
– Add fruits and salads – And I don’t mean processed fruit juices and salads with a lot of fatty dressings.
– Cut sugared drinks – I went from kopi peng 2 cups a day, to kopi si siu dai 1 cup per day… I am trying to go to kopi o kosong.
– Cut portions – My grandma used to tell me I would get an ugly girlfriend if I didn’t finish my rice when young, and I strictly followed that, even when I was full. Oh well. Now I know. Ask the hawker uncle for less gravy, less sauce, less noodles, less rice.
– Cut supper – Best thing I ever did to lose those love handles.
I did Adds & Cuts because avoiding totally would be too drastic and mentally painful. Take it easy and slowly, see weight-loss as a journey.
Selfie 2013 vs Selfie 2014: I think I look sharper (and younger) than last year. Lol.
Now for the fun stuff. Mr Brown, Miyagi and I will be aiming ourselves to lead a healthy lifestyle and lose weight together. The health and food guru – Dr Leslie Tay (ieatishootipost), will be there to provide us with some tips and advices.
We also hope our friends can join us too!
If you weigh in at a Wellness Kiosk at one of the HPB roadshows and when you have achieved your weight loss goal, you will be eligible to win a Golden Ticket to qualify for the grand prize draw. Prizes include an All-New 2014 Suzuki SWIFT, vacation package to Australia, shopping vouchers and staycation! A car!
What I personally hope to achieve in this 1 Million kg Challenge
– To lose 3 kg over a period of time to below 70kg
– Eat more healthy and exercise frequently
– For friends and fans to join us. Losing weight is always more fun together.
I will be at the launch event with Dr Leslie Tay this Sunday 16th March 2pm at Ngee Ann City to do a weigh-in. Hope to see you there!
Note: The Challenge is open to participants who are aged 18 to 64, who have a BMI that falls within the range of 18.5 to 37.4. Sign up here now!
Other Related Entries
40 Ways To Lose Weight!
January 09, 2018