[Closed] Bing Bian – An Affair With Taiwanese Shaved Ice

[Closed] Bing Bian - An Affair With Taiwanese Shaved Ice
by

[Updated] Bing Bian is closed.

Selling cold desserts should always work in hot hot Singapore, and what’s more with the sudden popularity of Taiwanese shaved ice and glass jelly desserts. Bing Bian 冰变 with the tagline “an affair with ice” is another Taiwanese-style shaved ice dessert place that has gained some notice recently. (Read: Blackball at Star Vista)

I am a huge fan of Taiwanese desserts, and that includes all kinds of ‘chua bing’ (shaved iced “Hong dou! Da hong dou! Yu tou. Chua chua chua…”), taro balls and beancurd. So I am VERY particular when it comes to yu yuan (taro ball) desserts. Just feel like flying over just thinking about it. (Read: Dong Qu Fen Yuan at Taipei and Anping Bean Jelly at Tainan)

The owners Boon Tuck and Gary said that they loved the yu yuan in Jiufen so much that they wanted to recreate it. I am amazed with the amount of effort and time they put into R&D, because they did not simply just buy off any recipe with money, but learnt to make it through months of experimenting.

The Yu Yuan series ($4.90 per owl) comes with shavings of different flavours such as soya, peanut, sesame, taro, green tea and red bean.

The interesting thing is most shops would shave the ice on the spot, while theirs is already shaved, flavoured and placed into containers. Yes, you order them as you would an ice cream, in which the ice would be scooped and placed into a bowl. Fascinatingly, the shaved ice still remains smooth and not-clumpy.

Perhaps it was because I am too used to the traditional Taiwanese style of desserts, Bing Bian’s version caught me by surprise. While their yu yuan actually tastes quite close to the ones I had in Taiwan, the entire combination felt let down by some of the ingredients and flavours. I really feel to do this well, every single ingredient has to be spot on.

Which is why I feel they should focus on their Fruit Series ($4.90) which is so much better, and more unique to them. The Calamansi Ice is very refreshing, slightly tangy and provides a ‘kick’ you would need for a lethargic afternoon, coming topped with fresh calamansi, fried cranberries, jelly and almond flakes.

My foodie friend Melody loved the Mango Ice Set, especially the ‘mango pops’ that creates a, well, popping sensation as you ‘play’ with them in your mouth.

Many people sweat too easily, and main relieve is to hide at some air-conditioned mall and grab an ice-cold drink or dessert. I think Bing Bian has what it takes, after some refinement and perhaps focusing on more real-fruity desserts. Who knows, if shaved ice is going to be the next Singapore food craze?

To cater to the lunch time crowd, Bing Bian has just introduced local Nasi Lemak bento sets which include Chicken Rendang ($5.90), Mutton Rendang ($6.90), Beef Rendang ($6.90) and Fish Sambal ($5.90).

Moreover, there is a special “3 Free 1” promotion where you can purchase 3 Combo meals and get 1 set free, or 3 Ice sets in which 1 dessert comes free. (Till 29th Jan, weekday after 6pm)

Bing Bian 冰变 An Affair With Ice
Millenia Walk 9 Raffles Boulevard #01-105 (Promenade MRT) Singapore 039596, Tel: +65 6337 1391
Opening Hours: 11am-9pm (Mon-Sat), 11am-8pm (Sun)
Also at: Peace Centre #01-39/43 Singapore 228149 (Dhoby Gaut MRT) Tel: +65 6338 9475

Other Taiwanese Entries
Blackball (Star Vista)
Hot Star Fried Chicken (City Square Mall)
I Love Taimei (Bugis Village)
Xi Men Ding (Vivocity)
Sophisca (Taiwan)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. My Favourite Shaved Ice Dessert is Ice Kachang? With LOADS of Red Bean !! ^^

2. Mango Ice Set for me please!!!! SLURP! !

3. Tan Li Charng : March 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Mango ice!

4. Mango Ice Set

5. Mango Iceeeeeeeeee <3 with load of mangos!

6. Gryphon Tee : March 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

My favourite = Calamansi Ice!

7. Mango Ice Set 😉

8. Winston Teo : March 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Mango Ice Set

9. I would like to top it with overflowing of mango pops. Popping them into the throat on a hot melting noon would be perfect! <3

10. Its the Mango Ice Set!

11. Fruit Series

12. Ong Pei Wen : March 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm
  13. My favourite is Yu Yuan Series!!!
    /drools all over

14. Love the Mango Pops so it’s gotta be Mango Ice Set for me!

15. Jacky Chung : March 6, 2013 at 8:19 am

My favorite is the Yu Yuan series. Red bean & green tea shavings (Y)!!!

16. Red bean & green tea shavings

17. Lim Eng Keat : March 6, 2013 at 1:54 am
  18. My favourite is Mango Ice Set because it is cooling and sensational filling with a heavy doses of magic flavour

19. My favourite is The Yu Yuan series! Yumm yumm!

20. The yu Yuan series!! Taro Shaved Ice!!!

21. I would really love to try the Yu Yuan series because it has all the yummy sweet bits and goodness in one wholesome bowl! 😀 Yeah!

22. Mango Ice Set for the pop!

23. Veralynn Tan : March 8, 2013 at 1:38 pm

My Favourite Shaved Ice Dessert is The Yu Yuan Series!

24. Liked & Shared! My Favourite Shaved Ice Dessert is The Yu Yuan Series!

25. My fav is Mango Ice Set.

26. Oh Lye Choon : March 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

My favourite is Mango Ice Set

27. Yummy calamansi ice!!!!

28. Mango ice

29. Mango Ice Set for my mangolicious crave:)

30. I LOVE Mango Ice Set!!!! :)

31. Liked & Shared! My Favourite Shaved Ice Dessert is The Yu Yuan Series!

32. Any of the Yu Yuan series owls please 😀 ($4.90 per owl)

like and shared

33. Seline Bong : March 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

mango ice set is my favouriate shaved ice desset.

34. My fav is the Durian Set!

35. Would definitely wish to win the Mango Ice set that my girlfriend is gonna love so so much! <3

36. Mango ice!

37. Mango Ice Set.

38. Fruits set

39. Fruit set

40. Durian Set!

41. My favourite is the Mango Ice Set.

42. Mango ice!

43. mango ice set

44. Mango ice set!

45. Jovinne Sham : March 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Calamansi Ice! Good for refreshing in this hot weather!

46. Durian Set! 😀

47. loved the Mango Ice Set

48. My favourite is Yu Yuan Series

49. Jessica NHT : March 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Mango Ice Set

50. mango ice set :)

51. Yu Yuan series! Yummy!

52. Mango Ice Set!!!

53. Yu Yuan Series (Peanut Ice Set)
    This bowl of goodness contains all my favourite chewy-tables! Would never have thought how peanut shaved ice and taro+sweet potato balls make such good marriage….. It’s just so divine.

(pick me maybe?)
    ^^

54. I love to try the taro balls!!! Want it so badly!! :) retweeted on fb and twitter!!

55. Would love to try the Yu yuan series!!! Totally in love with taro balls!!! Can’t wait to try them and win some vouchers ^.^

56. liked and shared!

would love to try the taro balls! 😀

thx thx

57. Congrats to MenMen Ang, L Yu Xiu Lyrenna, Koh Jun Jie Jason, Ong Pei Wen, Keax Liao, Alan Tan Choon Chai, Jovinne Sham, Cheryl Phoebe, Jandy Tan, Apple (Sugary Apples), Jocelyn Dandan, Jennie Cat, Michhysaurous BelleBelle, Fu Qizhuang, Jacky Choi, Dave Lim, Chin Oi Lin, Claudia Ng, Lim Yingyan, Clarissa Wong,

You have each won a Bing Bian voucher which can redeem two iced sets and two drinks! Please email [email protected] with your Name, Add and Subject Heading “Bing Bian”.

Congrats and have a cool day everyone!

58. of course the yu yuan series! 😀