Paris Baguette is finally here in Singapore! If you are thinking this is some French brand, nope. This chain is actually the top Korean bakery, receiving “constant love” for its freshly baked bread, cakes, sandwiches, desserts and brunch items.

It has over 3500 stores in Korea, US and China. None in France though, go figure. (Wheareas PAUL is really from France.)

Located at Level 2 Wisma Atria, Paris Baguette has replaced Ding Tai Fung (which has upgraded to Food Republic, or should I say downgraded) and attracted throngs of office crowd and the Korean expat community to land their support. Good chance to people-watch and spot a (almost) Girl Generation type customer.

Because it is newly opened, its self-service ordering system, service crunch, and lack of seats due to its popularity may throw you back a little. Customers were looking high and low for the menu sheet, only to find them lying around somewhere. Somewhere.

Indulge in a lazy afternoon with its brunch items, the best seller being the Cheese Omelette With A Difference ($18.00, and what a name). The omelette with spinach, gruyere and feta cheese is quite cheesy and yummy, plain in its own way, and heartily satisfying.

The Scrambled Egg Brioche Brunch ($18.00) is a photogenic dish with chorizo on toasted brioche, and the eggs evenly prepared and cooked. If we were to judge by the eggs alone, yes it is fresh delicious, but somehow lacks a punch. Should throw in a juicy sausage and some sautéed mushrooms.

The cakes on my table – a strawberry cream Mille-Feuille, impossibly cute Wahaha Chocolate Cake, and Peach Tart (between $6.50 and $8.50), are extremely pretty to look at, but not so pretty to eat. Some dry, some lacking that delicate touch. (More cakes at Coffee Stars by Dao downstairs.)

Pardonnez for the offensive-looking tart

Overall, I like its clean open concept, and its wide selection from bread, sandwiches, salads to puddings for takeaways for the busy lunchtime crowd. Paris Baguette plans to open up to 30 branches in Singapore and looks like it is here to stay. But…

Question: Why is Paris Baguette in Singapore seoul expensive? $17.00 for club sandwich, $18.00 for eggs, and $11.00 for iced orange tea! Makes me think twice downing that $11.00 Chamomile tea to calm myself.

Paris Baguette Singapore (Wisma Atria)
435 Orchard Road, #02-48 to 53 Wisma Atria, Singapore 239977 (Orchard MRT), Tel:+ 65 6836 2010, +65 6836 3010

Other Related Entries
PAUL Bakery (Ngee Ann City)
Maison Kayser (Scotts Square)
Brunetti (Tanglin Mall)
Delicious (Scotts Square)
Eggs & Berries (Changi City Point)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Paris Baguette – Korean Bakery Finally Comes to Singapore, But Why Seoul Expensive?”

1. Reality
    September 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Dear Daniel,

Perhaps you should just stick to your hawker fare, and stop trying to always stir controversy.

PS. Food is usually this expensive in town.

Love,
    Reality

2. September 4, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Hi Daniel! I just tried Paris Baguette a few days back. I actually found their baked items fairly reasonably priced, and extremely delicious. In fact, I think their baked goods are more value for money than the menu items. You should definitely try “Sonoma” (crunchy peanut topping on bread) and “Giant UFO” (Custard filled bread shaped like a UFO) which were both delicious.

• admin
      September 4, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Thanks for sharing. Actually been there twice. Looks like a third visit is a must.

3. September 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Even the orange juice or iced tea at Paul in Paris didn’t cost me SGD11. This is simply overpriced and waiting to close down.

• admin
      September 4, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Actually from what it seems, their takeaways are doing well, and looks like they are here to stay.

4. wl.
    September 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I think the hot food items & drinks are expensive because they factor in the partial tableside service when you don’t actually pay service charge & gst. But $11 for ice tea is just way too exorbitant.

• admin
      September 4, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

I really think it’s the rental that is killing them. Even DTF (with so good business) has to move up. It’s a hot spot!

5. September 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Oh yes it is really popular in Seoul! I think the pricing is almost similar to the ones in Seoul!

• Odile
      January 10, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Oh I’m gonna have to argue with this one.
      Paris Baguette in Seoul is half the price compared to Singapore!
      They are not premium AT ALL. Reasonable quality, reasonable price.
      Tea and coffee, for example, would be around 4~5 SGD.

I think its def the rent and overall cost in Singapore.

6. LT
    September 6, 2012 at 8:58 am #

The cost of doing business in town is not cheap, and businesses at the end of the day need to make enough to pay rental, salaries and enough profit to keep everything going. If you think that something is good and worth the price, please support them so that they can continue to provide whatever it is they are providing. If you think otherwise, as a consumer, you can exercise your choice not to patronise them and spend your money elsewhere.

7. winnie
    October 3, 2012 at 10:03 am #

hi there, im actually in seoul now and i must honestly say that the sg’s one is way too overpriced. :(

• admin
      October 3, 2012 at 10:12 am #

What are the prices like in Seoul? Can share?

8. wp
    October 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

They have increased the prices since your review! :(

• admin
      October 5, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Huh? Again? What’s the price like?

9. melly
    October 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Actually Paris Baguette’s prices are not the most expensive already. The cakes at the new Podi The Food Orchard at Paragon by Cedele are priced at $12 each, desserts $15, almost 2x mark-up of Cedele’s. It’s way too ridiculous. Would you pay $12 for just a slice of cake? And they’re not even a fine dining restaurant, it’s just a cafe with fine dining prices.

10. October 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Hey all,
    I was amazed by the pastries, very nice indeed.
    As for the price, still reasonable as cafes are not cheap anyway.
    Compared to Paul at Taka, I think they outshine them for the coffee taste and varieties.
    I just dont like the free seating concept, quite a hassle to get table and people are waiting for you to leave when you are about to finish your bite.

11. Jamie Yau
    December 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

Even in New York City, this bakery is on the pricey side but sometimes it's worth is for the quality of the cakes they have there and just the artistry that goes into creating the cakes. I bought a fruit tart home for a birthday and not a crumb was left. I definitely recommend their cakes, but other places like Tous Les Jours have similar and a bit less expensive cakes or some Chinese bakeries have even less expensive cakes with similar quality and taste to their Korean counterparts.

12. Jamie Yau
    December 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

13. Adele Mcgill
    January 10, 2013 at 12:57 am #

i love to bake foods and someday, i want to own a bakery myself

14. Siti
    February 5, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

Oh my! The prices for the pastries and drinks are kinda steep in singapore. As I could recalled, the prices in seoul were cheap! Drinks cost about SGD $4 to $8 and pastries cost as low as $2

15. May 21, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Nice

16. July 4, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

I've been to this cafe while in Jeju island, Korea. The price there is just slightly above breadtalk, but over here…

17. margaret
    October 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

when Paris Baguette just open I brought some friends there for breakfast, the bread pastry was good a class of is own. 4 person we spent over S$50 plus. the place is class good to bring friends have a cup of coffee and bread etc.
    we have since return few times we love the garlic bread was really good. regent visit 3 weeks ago I found the standard drop
    however what we are not happy is they use to have it at 11 am the garlic bread but now no one in the counter know what time and when they will bake the garlic bread my friend was there waited and no one seem to know when will the bread be bake after an hour of waiting they said maybe another 11/2 more hour my friend was very mad.

garlic bread is their most recommended item and yet now they wanted to bake others variety
    and neglect the garlic bread what a disappointment.

18. Sheena Ong
    November 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Their Korean staff (I assumed she's Korean because of the name I saw on her nameplate) at their newly opened Tampines Mall branch is VERY RUDE! She keeps on asking people who's going to order from the brunch menu to queue together (in a very RUDE manner) with the people ordering bread when the staffs assigned at the bread area told us we can just order straight to the counter instead. Sorry but she's not only rude but stupid also for not using her simple common sense.

• admin
      November 25, 2013 at 10:56 am #

I guess unsatisfactory service is really a problem for most Singapore F&Bs.

19. January 4, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Have visited the place last week when the crowd is smaller. I love the food and drinks there. But the service is really unacceptable (luckily there was no service charge).

20. Maria
    February 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

I visited Paris Baguette twice in a week to meet up with friends.
    Ambience is nice, large selection of pastries, cakes and others. I think a bit overpriced, just like
    having coffee/cakes at 5 star hotel, Jasmine green tea $11 (Crazy) only 1 tea bag add on hot water :-( nothing taste special.
    Service is poor, no courtesy, not friendly, When I asked for additional hot water, the staff rudely told me to Queue my self!! will not go there again, I rather seat & relaxed at Goodwood Hotel Cafe, great stuff & great service.

21. March 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

They did not wash the fruits dat were placed on the cakes n tarts! I saw them preparing n was stunned….

22. Gzen
    March 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

I think the service at Paris Baguette Wisma is improving now with the newer batch of service crews. For those who feel that the service was bad in the past, you might want to try visiting it now again. :)