Pontian Wanton Mee 笨珍云吞面 – Not Authentic, But Who Cares?

A friend from Hong Kong was kind of disgusted at Singapore’s wanton noodles. “I have never seen char siew so thinly sliced! It can break the record of the thinnest char siew ever.”

Other than the roasted pork, Singapore’s version of extraordinary tiny and flat prawnless wantons can almost break that record too.

Similarly, the Malaysian’s wanton mee is popular locally, with the “Pontian Wanton Mee 笨珍云吞面” brand appearing in several coffee shop stalls throughout the island. However, residents of Pontian (Johore) would tell you that those sold here are so unlike their familiar versions of “Heng Heng 兴兴云吞” and “8383 南荣餐室的新记云吞面”. So much for authenticity.

But… 笨珍 Wanton Mee is almost everywhere in Singapore now! For fans craving that ketchup goodness in your wanton noodles in town, head down to youthland Far East Plaza. The Graffiti café from Heeren had moved here, with more graffiti, more space and more tables, selling the good-old famous Pontian noodles and drinks.

The queue was long – and patrons had to take a number like a visit to an overcrowded clinic on a Monday morning. (While waiting, tou could probably spend your time reading mushy love messages written on the tables and walls.)

There were three choices of the sauce base: ketchup without chili, chili or black sauce with chili.

I found that the standard dropped from the first time when I tried it back at Heeren. The noodles were rather lumpy, and therefore did not mix well with the sauce. More sauce please. Nevertheless, the deep fried wanton dipped in sinful mayonnaise sauce were still light crunchy and enjoyable.

With the Hong Kong and Malaysian wanton mee quite distinct, have you wondered which brand would best represent the ‘Singapore Wanton Mee’? Kok Kee 国记, Cho Kee 曹记, Fei Fei 飞飞?

Graffiti Cafe Far East Plaza Level 1

Other Related Entries
Canton-I (Ion Orchard)
Top 73+1 Handmade Fishball Noodle
Black Pepper Char Siew Rice & Noodles (Maxwell Food Centre)
Koka Wanton Noodles (North Bridge Road)
Hua Kee Wanton Mee (Old Airport Road)

Tags: , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Pontian Wanton Mee 笨珍云吞面 – Not Authentic, But Who Cares?”

1. David
    June 25, 2010 at 10:38 am #

I vote for Kok Kee! That is also very near my house. I think Jalan Besar is a great place to live, if you don’t mind some sl****e.

2. June 25, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Hey Dan!!! I love the 笨珍面 too!!!!!! As long as it suits our tastes. ;)

And no worries about not getting to talk much yesterday. Plenty of chances in the future I’m sure!!

3. Haruyuki
    June 27, 2010 at 5:41 am #

Fei Fei is over-rated… Imho almost any other wanton mee stall out there is comparable to Fei Fei. I heard it used to be better but after they became famous, the standard dropped. People should try “Ang Moh Wanton Mee” at nearby Tembeling Road.

4. Shirley
    July 5, 2010 at 11:57 am #

the one at Far east is good… nvr get tired of it… :p

5. Z
    July 19, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

this is not pontian wan tam mee,

this only look like pontian black sauce noodle.

b4 u eat please ask the stall ‘ are u from pontian’??

shit all around the world…..

6. skyvel
    May 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

我是笨珍土生土长的小孩。。。
    你肯定是吃60年历史的笨珍云吞面!
    我敢拍胸口保证这绝对不是笨珍的云吞面。。。
    如果有机会来一趟笨珍之旅,你就会爱上笨珍云吞面。

7. SAM
    June 24, 2011 at 10:55 am #

i am looking for the franchisee of this pontian wanton mee. do you know who shall contact? do you have their official contact number?

• Chloe
      March 25, 2014 at 6:13 am #

HI Are u still looking for the franchise of this Pontian wanton mee

8. Vince
    July 1, 2011 at 6:52 am #

you guys should try Hong Mao Wan Ton Mee at Haig Road. Its next to Haig Girls School. Sedap! Btw.. Pontian is opened by my fren’s family… lol

9. Anonymous
    March 23, 2014 at 7:30 am #

the pontian noodles at international plaza groun flr… tasted terrible..charsiew was dry n brown, tasteless, when requested for pork lard..was not given…truly bad wanton noodles..dont believe me ,go n try! really disappointing:(.

10. Melody Lee
    July 7, 2014 at 7:05 am #

went to simei outlet. the management should really send your staff to training… they are nothing but rude… today is the second experience with that same rude stuff… why is it so difficult to just tell them what I want!! I don't mind to look at the board and order what I want… but the ways she replied is so rude! Pls do something!!